Thursday, January 12, 2023

Slice of Life

 


Growing up, we always have newspaper delivered to us everyday, it was a broadsheet. Every Sunday, it included a magazine. My siblings and I always wanted to get a hold of it first, why? There was a page there that we love to look at. It was a whole page cartoon, it was called “Slice of Life” (please see sample picture above) by the late Filipino cartoonist and illustrator, and National Artist, Larry Alcala. 

Aside from he showed the everyday life of Filipino people thru his cartoons, he made it a point that he also drew his face and mix it to his drawing for the people like us to find it. It was like a hunting game 😊. It was always fun. Sometimes it was easy, sometimes it was hard to find him. 

When I was young, maybe about 8 or 9 years old, not old enough to understand life. I started to wonder and asked myself why I can only see what’s going on in my life. Unlike in the movies, where they have this scene what’s going on in the life of one person, then switched it to another. 

It was then when I grew up and old enough to understand that I am responsible to my own life, and others to theirs. It was only then that I was old enough to understand what’s the meaning of individual and privacy. 

I drive to work everyday during weekdays. And as I look around, I observed different people, most of the time, they’re talking on their phone, others are texting, there are women who dared to put make up while driving, probably because the’ve ran out of time, others are sipping their coffee, others are in the drive-thru to get breakfast, others are just concentrating and eyes on the road, others are driving like maniacs. 

Whether those people are going home, going to work, or just simply minding their own business, always remember, to each his own. We simply want to live and share our own “slice of life”. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Sammy 🐶 ❤️

It was just March of this year when Sam gave birth to three beautiful puppies. We kept the youngest, Redd, I gave the other girl to my co-wo...